Mushroom Quiche with Gluten Free Pastry
This mushroom quiche is made with our trusty old paleo gluten free pastry. We added some garlic as we LOVE garlic mushrooms, it made this really tasty, but if you don't like garlic just leave it out; maybe replace it with some tarragon if you want an extra bit of flavour.
This quiche will suit a variety of special dietary requirements from paleo to vegetarian, to those looking to avoid nuts and nightshades. It's also just really tasty without having to be classified!
Mushroom Quiche - Nutritional Info
Our pasty recipe includes tapioca flour which is considered a 'safe' starch by many paleo aficionados. It's not got anything in the way of nutrients to speak of, but here at Creatively Paleo our opinion is that food isn't JUST about the nutritional value - flavour, taste and texture are all key to the enjoyment of food.
Mushroom Quiche - Ingredients - makes one large quiche
- 1 batch of gluten free pastry
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 dsp coconut oil or butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp tarragon - optional
Mushroom Quiche - Instructions
- Prepare the pastry and chill.
- Heat the coconut oil or butter in a frying pan.
- Fry the mushrooms until nicely browned then turn off the heat.
- Grind over some black pepper and stir in the crushed garlic, (and/or tarragon if you are using it) making sure the mushrooms are nicely coated. Leave to one side whilst you prepare the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas Mark 6) or 180C (350C gas mark 4)
- Roll the pastry out to approximately 2mm thickness using a heavy rolling pin, You may want to sandwich the pastry between two layers of baking parchment to prevent it from sticking and breaking.
- Once the pastry is big enough to completely fill your flan case, carefully lift it onto the dish and remove the baking paper.
- Carefully push the pastry down into the edges of the flan dish - if you get any cracks just press them back together, they will be fine.
- Trim the pastry by sliding a knife along the edge of the flan dish.
- Put the baking paper loosely onto the top of the pastry and fill the space with ceramic baking beans.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 10 mins.
- Very carefully remove the paper and baking beans from the quiche case, and if it looks a little soggy still pop it back into the oven for 5 mins without the paper or beans.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before arranging the mushrooms on the bottom of the pastry case.
- In a jug beat together the eggs and the coconut milk, then season.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the mushrooms, bringing it almost to the top of the pastry shell.
- Very carefully, so as not to cause an egg tsunami, put the quiche into the oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the egg is cooked and the top is nice and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool before putting in the fridge.
- Serve with a fresh salad - our kohlslaw is great with this quiche.
If you liked our gluten free pastry recipe for jam tarts why not try out our lemon curd filled buns?