Meatballs Recipe - Chili Meatballs
Meatballs make a great family meal - our chili meatballs recipe is bursting with flavour and is absolutely packed with nutritious vegetables, which is a great way of upping your children's intake without them turning their noses up! And if they need any more persuading... these little beauties contain chocolate!
Chili Meatballs Recipe - Nutritional Data
The nutritional date supplied here is for the complete meal which includes approximately 125g of meatballs, 200g of sauce, and 75g of cauliflower and broccoli rice.
This meal is an absolute powerhouse of nutrition. According to our nutritional calculator, each serving will provide you with more than the RDA of
almost all of your RDA of:
more than half of your RDA of:
- B12, folate and B3 (niacin)
and almost half of your RDA of:
- B1 (thiamin),phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper and manganese.
Ingredients for meatballs (serves 4 - 6)
- 500g minced beef
- 2 large carrots - grated
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 leek - finely chopped
- 6 mushrooms - finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp coriander leaf
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
Ingredients for meatball sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 carrots - sliced
- 1l passata or 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 100ml beef stock
- 1 clove garlic - crushed
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 40g dark paleo friendly chocolate - broken into small pieces
Chili Meatballs - Instructions
- Preparation is the key to this meatballs recipe so start by prepping all of the vegetables, including the broccoli and cauliflower rice - this part is the most time consuming, but once its done everything else takes next to no time.
- Put all of the meatball ingredients into a large bowl and using a fork, thoroughly mix them together until the mixture is a uniform colour and the vegetables are well distributed through the meat.
- Form into balls - I made 18, how many you make is entirely up to you, but I would suggest that you don't make them too small otherwise they may disintegrate when cooking in the sauce.
- Put to one side whilst you prepare the sauce.
Meatball sauce recipe - Instructions
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry over a low heat until translucent - you don't really want them to brown.
- Add the sliced carrots to the pan and stir through.
- Pour the passata or chopped tomatoes into the pan, followed by the oregano, beef stock and the chocolate.
- Continue to cook over a low heat, stirring until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Carefully drop the meatballs into the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and leave to simmer whilst you cook the broccoli and cauliflower rice.
- Serve with a lovely leafy salad to add extra nutritional value, and textural interest.
Why Not Try....
Broccoli and cauliflower rice works really well with this recipe, but so would any of our cauliflower rice recipes.