Lemon Cake Recipe
This Lemon Cake Recipe has really cheered us up today. Here in the UK we are in the grips of yet another band of snow when what we really want to see is some sunshine! Lemon shrieks of sunshiny days and a bite into this sumptuously moist and zingy cake momentarily reminded us of balmy days - really what could scream Mediterranean and sunshine more than a lemon olive oil cake?
Back in the heady days of spring last year, when we were still on our motor home adventure, a friend's daughter made a really yummy lemon drizzle cake. It was gluten free but it used rice flour. Our eldest daughter suffers terribly when she eats rice, so we avoid it as a general rule. Lemon drizzle cake is a firm family favourite though and so I've been racking my brains trying to come up with a recipe that would satisfy this need. I wasn't expecting to get it right on the first try, but I did! I am beyond pleased with it, all the children like it, but it is dangerously addictive so it will be a very occasional treat.
We really hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Let me know if you give it a go, we love to hear how others get on with our recipes.
Ingredients (serves 6 - 8)
For The Cake
- 50 g coconut flour
- 50 g tapioca flour
- 50 g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops lemon essential oil (or 1 tsp lemon flavouring)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
For The Drizzle
- 3 dsp maple syrup
- 3 dsp water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/350° F/gas mark 4.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Put the chia seeds into the 1/4 cup of water, stir to prevent clumping and set aside.
- Sift the coconut flour, tapioca flour and coconut sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in the baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together the olive oil, eggs, lemon oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Add to the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly.
- Add in the zest and juice of a lemon and the chia seeds & water (they should become slightly gelatinous).
- Whisk until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour.
- In a bowl mix together the maple syrup, water and lemon juice.
- When the cake is cooked remove it from the oven and immediately stab holes all over it (not too enthusiastically, you don't want a plate full of crumbs!)
- Slowly pour the drizzle all over the cake, allowing it to soak in before pouring on more.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the loaf tin.
- Serve and imagine yourself walking through a sun soaked lemonary!
Other Naughty But Nice Treats You Might Enjoy
Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Lemon Bundt Cake
Lemon Cake Recipe
Lemon Curd Recipe
Sugar Free Jam Recipe
You are Invited to Share
Paleo Recipe - Share your Paleo Food Success Stories from our Recipes
Have you tried one of our Creatively Paleo Recipes ?
Loved It ? Hated It ? Did your family like it ? What do you think could be improved ? What did you serve it with ? Added a different ingredient ? How did you personalise it ? ... Share Pics & your Recipe Stories here ...
Return to Paleo Desserts from Lemon Cake Recipe