Granola Recipe - Paleo Gluten Free Granola
From our Paleo Breakfast Recipe Collection
We are very excited to be sharing our Granola Recipe with you. This is of course a gluten free granola, it is nut, dairy and grain free. It's Paleo, but not suitable for the Whole 30 programme due to the use of honey and dried fruit.
This chocolate granola comes highly recommended by our children who range in age from 4 to 17, so you know it's got to be good! Happy munching!
The ingredients for this granola are quite pricey, and it is pretty sweet too, so this is definitely a once in a while treat breakfast.
Our gluten free granola is packed full of goodness - hemp and flax seeds which are a great source of omegas 3 and 6 along with a wealth of other nutritional goodies.
Sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds give it it's delicious crunch as well as adding to the nutrient load by adding in lots of lovely fats along with countless vitamins and minerals from iron to zinc and everything in between.
Then we throw in raw cacao to give it it's chocolatey punch (magnesium, anti oxidants, theobromine, EFAs .... anyone?) and finish up with some dried fruit and honey which add a yummy chewiness to the mix which is great for giving your jaw a healthy workout, something missing from most people's diets these days.
Granola Recipe - Ingredients - Will fill a 2l jar (with leftovers to nibble on!)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup shredded (dessicated) coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup finely chopped apple
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- approximately 1 cup of unmelted cacao butter (I used a couple of big chunks)
- approximately 1/4 cup of unmelted cacao paste
Granola Recipe - Method
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160 fan oven)
- Grind the hemp and flax seeds then sieve into a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the apples (2 average apples should yield approximately a cup when chopped) and add to the bowl.
- Mix in all the other dry ingredients.
- Place the cacao paste and cacao butter in a glass bowl in the oven to melt.
- Pour the honey and melted cacao butter and paste into the mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover two baking trays with baking paper (do not omit this step as the granola will set like concrete to the baking trays and take an awful lot of elbow grease to scrape off once set!)
- Using a large spoon, drop the granola onto the baking tray - it will naturally form quite large chunks, although the apple seems to prefer not to integrate, so you will need to press them gently into the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 mins, but be careful not to let it burn.
- Turn the oven down to its lowest setting and leave the granola in for 2 hours.
- Turn the oven off and leave the granola in until cool.
- Once cool break the large chunks into bite sized ones and place in an airtight jar.
- Serve with yogurt if you eat dairy, or a milk of your preference, with fruit or straight from the jar!
Return to Paleo Breakfast Recipe Collection from Granola Recipe