Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe
This chocolate orange cake recipe creates a sumptuously moist treat of a cake. One of the first recipes that we put up was for a lemon drizzle cake, back in the snowy depths of winter. Yesterday The Boy wanted to make a cake, so he adapted that recipe and came up with this incredible variation. And look at the photo - we have sunshine this time! Bliss.
The addition of a chocolate drizzle makes this cake look quite special when you cut a slice - you can see where the chocolate has seeped down into the cake - and when left to set, you get a nice chocolate crust on the top.
Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe - Ingredients (serves 6 - 8)
For The Cake
- 50 g coconut flour
- 50 g tapioca flour
- 50 g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops orange essential oil (or 1 tsp orange flavouring)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
For The Orange Drizzle
- 3 dsp honey
- 1 dsp water
- Juice of 1 orange
For The Chocolate Drizzle
- 30g cacao butter
- 15g cacao powder
- 1.5 tsp honey
Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe -Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/350° F/gas mark 4.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Put the chia seeds into the 1/4 cup of water, stir to prevent clumping and set aside.
- Sift the coconut flour, tapioca flour and coconut sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in the baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, orange oil, vanilla extract and honey.
- Add to the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly.
- Add in the zest and juice of an orange and the chia seeds & water (they should become slightly gelatinous).
- Whisk until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour.
- In a bowl mix together the honey, water and orange juice.
- When the cake is cooked remove it from the oven and immediately stab holes all over it (not too enthusiastically, you don't want a plate full of crumbs!)
- Slowly pour the drizzle all over the cake, allowing it to soak in before pouring on more.
- Now make the chocolate drizzle.
- Place the cacoa butter and cacao powder into a small glass or metal bowl over a pan of hot water.
- When you can see that the cacao butter has melted, whisk until you have a smooth chocolately liquid.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey.
- Carefully remove the cake from the loaf tin and invert it onto a plate - you may want to cut the top of the cake off as it is quite likely to have bulged out into something of a dome like shape. This gives you the opportunity to legitimately test it to see how it tastes...
- Gently make some more holes in the cake with a skewer and spoon over the chocolate.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes then cover the top of the cake in the remaining chocolate, allowing it to run down the sides (give it a gentle push with a spoon if it doesn't want to jump over the edge!)
- Leave to cool - then pop in the fridge to give the chocolate chance to harden.
- Serve the chocolate orange cake on its own or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and maybe some fresh berries.
Return to Paleo Desserts from Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe