We are pretty certain that this chocolate icecream gluten free dessert will blow your mind, not to mention your taste buds! You could easily serve this at a sophisticated dinner party and your guests would never guess the secret ingredient. Topped with a dark chocolate mint magic sauce you will be the talk of the dinner party circuit after dishing up this luxurious paleo dessert treat!
So the secret ingredient is.... sweet potato! Yes, really.
Sweet potatoes are power houses of goodness: 1 cup will provide you with 65% of the RDA of vitamin C but an incredible 700% of vitamin A. They are high in calcium, potassium, folate and beta-carotene as well as having a low glycemic index rating of 17.
Along with magnesium rich raw cacao powder, this is a paleo dessert that is really good for your mind and body!
Chocolate Icecream Recipe
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
for sweet potato chocolate icecream
- 1200g peeled sweet potato cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
- 2 dsps coconut oil
- For The Custard
- 1 pint coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 dsp raw cacao powder
- 1 dsp cacao butter
- For The Mint Choc Chip Sauce
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 heaped dsps raw cacao powder
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F/gas mark 4
- Put the sweet potato pieces in a baking tray with the coconut oil
- Cook for 5 minutes then remove and baste the potato with the oil
- Return to the oven and cook until soft and slightly caramelised - approximately 30 - 40 minutes.
- When cooked purée and leave to cool.
For the Custard (prepare whilst the potatoes are cooking)
- Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan, you want it almost but not quite at boiling point.
- Remove from heat and cool for 20 mins.
- Whisk the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a bowl
- Slowly whisk in to the coconut milk
- Return the pan to the heat, whisking continuously until the mixture starts to thicken
- Remove from the heat and sieve into a clean bowl.
- Whisk in the cacao powder (you could omit this is you wanted a plain vanilla custard)
- Stir in the puréed sweet potato
- Leave to cool slightly then transfer into a tub
- Freeze for at least 8 hours, whipping the icecream a couple of times in the first few hours
For The Mint Choc Chip Sauce
- Melt the coconut oil
- Add in the peppermint oil and vanilla extract
- Whisk in the cacao powder
Serve the Icecream and drizzle a generous spoonful of the choc chip mint sauce over the icecream and watch the magic!
Have you tried one of our Creatively Paleo Recipes ?
Loved It ? Hated It ? Did your family like it ? What do you think could be improved ? What did you serve it with ? Added a different ingredient ? How did you personalise it ? ... Share Pics & your Recipe Stories here ...
Return to Creatively Paleo Home from Chocolate Icecream